Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Fire in Your Bones

Jeremiah was whipped and and put in stocks by Pashhur, the priest of the temple, for speaking the truth about future judgment upon Judah. In response to this, Jeremiah says to the Lord that essentially the Lord has overpowered him in order to speak with such passion and honesty. Pashhur told him never to speak of this judgment again. However Jeremiah says to the Lord, "If I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones. I am weary of holding it in." (Jeremiah 20:7-9)

Does a fire burn in your bones when it comes to the compelling message of the Gospel? Jeremiah was no doubt a passionate preacher. He connected daily with his Lord and that became the fuel to keep the fire burning.

I fear I haven't seen enough passionate preaching in these modern days. Many pastors are doing a good job of exposing the scripture but the passion is missing. I fear the Evangelical church could become the church who lost its first love because the pastor doesn't have a fire in his bones.


No comments:

Post a Comment