Tuesday, May 26, 2009

If Christ Were not There

I have been reading a book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. It is another one of those books that challenges us to the pursuit of love for our Lord. I was totally convicted by a quote in his book by John Piper. He writes:

The citical question for our generation--and for every generation--is this:

"If you could have heaven, with no sickness and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satistied with heaven if Christ were not there?"

How many of us would read that statement and would say, "You know, I would be okay with that." I had to admit I struggled with that thought. How about you?

Can we say with the Psalmist, "O God , you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you , in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you."

Could we honestly pray to the Lord, "I want You, And when I don't, I want to want you."

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Tom
    This reminds me of the Twilight Zone where the gangster dies and goes to a place where he gets everything he wants. He perceives this as heaven and finally gets board. He tells his mentor he would rather go to the "other place." The mentor starts to laugh and tells him that he is in the "other place." Heaven is not Heaven without Christ.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete