Monday, May 11, 2009

The Bullseye on Your Back

Criticism and leadershp can certainly be synonymous. . I might be a little prejudiced, but I think there is a greater propensity for criticism in the church then any other institution. Why it that?
First: We are servant leaders. Servant leaders are more approachable, teachable, and vulnerable. Those qualities add up to be an easier target. Secondly: People are consumers of the church and are selfishly prone to have the menu they want. When we can't feed them what they want, they find another "restaurant" down the street. Third: It seems that everyone is an expert when it comes to the church. A pastor would never tell a pilot how to fly a plane or a CEO how to run his business, but parishoners will tell a pastor how to lead the church.

So what are the results of the inevitable arrows that strike our back side? "WOUNDS"

So how do you deal with the wounds of criticism that come your way? I managed to repress my wounds over the years. I would excuse the unfair, nasty, carnal criticism in the name of "Suck it up Christianity". "After all these people love God like I do." "It isn't a personal attack." "They are just having a bad day." "That's just life in the ministry." "They aren't the enemy." "I'm a big boy, I can take it."

While all those statements had truth attached, it didn't make the sting go away. So I would rationalize my own hurt thus piling up offense after offense without really treating the wound. What I really needed to do was to honestly admit it hurt and intentionally forgive the person by faith. Unfortunately it took too many years to figure that out.

How are you handling the bullseye on your back? Are you responding in a healthy way?

No comments:

Post a Comment