Friday, April 2, 2010

WHAT ARE WE PRODUCING?

Jesus told us to, "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you."

Notice he didn't say make Christians of all nations. He said make apprentices or followers who want to obey all of His commands.

The question I want to ask is this. Are we really baptizing people in our churches today who fully understand what a disciple of Christ really is?

Dallas Willard writes in his book "The Great Omission" these words: "For those who lead or minister, there are yet graver questions. What authority or basis do I have to baptize people who have not been brought to a clear decision to be a disciple of Christ? Dare I tell people, as "believers" without discipleship that they are at peace with God and God with them? Where can I find justification for this message? Perhaps most important: Do I as a minister have the faith to undertake the work of disciple-making? Is my first aim to make disciples? Or do I just run and operation?"

You may or may not agree with Dallas Willard, but we can say without reservation that we are in the disciple-making business? At the very least we must be careful to teach people that obedience is the primary external force that indicates internal transformation.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment