Tuesday, March 16, 2010

WHERE IS THE POWER?

As I have recently read the book of Acts I was again astounded by the power that was present in the early church. Thousands were coming to Christ, while many signs and wonders were taking place.

We know the New Testament church wasn't perfect by any means. We don't have to go much further than Ephesus or Corinth to realize that any church can get messy Even in the early days there were certainly logistical adjustments being made via deacons coming onto the scene.

While I am not into the signs and wonders movement, I do sense something missing in the evangelical church today. I sometimes think what is missing is the power of God's presence being clearly manifested. I wonder if more seekers would be attracted to a church where God's power had a clearer expression?

In my mind there is nothing more powerful than a transformed life. Maybe we aren't giving enough opportunity for transformed lives to tell their stories. Maybe we are so fixed on the teaching of the word that we aren't spending enough time on the transformed lives of the word?

I am convinced that God may want to do far more then we could ask or imagine if we would just be more sensitive to his voice. I believe we have tipped the scales so heavily toward the teaching of the Word being the only way God speaks that we have missed many wonderful opportunities that the still small voice has prompted. In fact, I wonder if we listened and obeyed the still small voice more often maybe his power would be more visible.

Where is the power in your church?

No comments:

Post a Comment